Monday, July 14, 2008

My family moved to Albuquerque in the early 1960's, possibly around 1962 or 1963. My father, Robert Jones, was a doctor in the Air Force and he was stationed at Kirtland AFB. We lived in base housing on the north side of Gibson Blvd, just east of Carlisle Blvd. I believe it was called the Maxwell Housing area. Here is a Google map of where we lived:

View Larger Map

I remember that we could stand in our front yard and look up Redwing Place and see my friend Bill Tinkle's house. I remember several other friends that I had there... Mathew (don't remember his last name) and Wolfkin (don't remember his last name either). I believe that Mathew lived to the west of us on Mercury and Wolf lived to the east, next to the Valdez's.

The housing area was military property and had a BOQ near the front entrance. I believe I was told that in its early (pre-Air Force) history, it may have been a school of some sort. There were no guards or gates because we were across the road from the main base and I guess it was a different time. Out the back of the housing area, at the far northeast and northwest corners were pedestrian gates to the local neighborhoods. I remember that there was a drug store out the northwest gate, at the corner of Carlisle and Thaxton. The building is still there and looks about the same as it did over 40 years ago. Now it is used for a community church. I remember walking or riding my bike there for ice cream or candy.

The northeast gate is where my little brother escaped one day from the housing area. I remember the Security Police and our friends and family looking all over for him. I don't remember where they found him, but they did eventually locate him and give him a ride home. He must have been about 3 years old at the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home